Thursday, February 09, 2006

February 9, 2006

I have now received a few emails about my lack of posting something. Every day my intent is to post a new blog, yet my two helpers (Leah and Chloe) are right on top of me thinking they should type, too.

We have had a few very nice, normal days. On Monday and Tuesday nights we had to give the GCSF shot to Leah. She does not like this, but we have a sort of routine where she gets out all her different kinds of bandaids, lines them up on the couch and then picks one for after we are done. I am still the shot-giver, and that is OK. I am getting used to it. Esther came over both nights to make sure we were doing fine with it, but I think we have it down. Chris was at the UNI game on Tuesday night, so I was especially thankful that she was around that night. Monday, Tuesday and Wednesday I worked in the afternoon. I think I could get used to a half time job, but don't think that is in the cards. Leah was very, very tired on Tuesday. I could tell she didn't feel good, but she was not sick, either. She just was not very hungry and was so tired. I gave her a Tylenol and she was fine, but I attribute this to her low counts. On Wednesday we had a busy day. She had to go in for another blood draw since they would like to start chemotherapy yet this week. On the way there I started thinking to myself that on Mondays she has a CBC and electrolytes tested. That is too much blood to do a finger poke now, so that is why we went to accessing her port, but since all they neeed was a CBC and we used to just get a finger poke, perhaps they would be able to do that again. That was my first question when we got called back, and they agreed. It is always a risk of infection when a port is accessed, so a finger poke was a fine idea to them. Leah was happy with this too-it felt like a reason to celebrate. By the time we came home my brother, AJay, was here to put DVD software on a laptop so Leah will be able to watch DVDs in the hospital. Leah ate a quick lunch, but then it ws time for preschool. Leah's half birthday is next week, so yesterday was her treat day at school and in addition to her standard cheese, sausage and crackers snack we packed little treat bags for the kids to take home. She helped with all of this. I called a few times from school to see if she had come home early and was surprised each time that she was still there. The one other time she has gone she was only there 30 minutes. I knew she was very tired that day, but wanted to go so badly. Yesterday she did go and lay down right away afterward but seemed to enjoy the whole day. We had laid a hat out to wear, but she does not really care about her hairdo and took it off as soon as she arrived. Last night when we were brushing teeth Chloe was touching her hair and Leah kept yelling at her, "Chloe I like my dred. Leave it alone." Then she informed me that she is always going to have a dred.

The past two nights when we have said our prayers I ask Chloe what she wants to pray for. Her answer is usually "owie. tummy." This has made Leah very upset. She usually yells at her, "Chloe my tummy is not owie. Stop stinkin' saying that." I smile to myself because think that is good that she is not feeling sick or worrying about something right now.

Leah has been busy reading up a storm, talking up a storm and has told us many times, "I find myself kite hoomorous." This is usually after she has done something very annoying. Chris and I both have bad colds and we are hoping Leah does not develop one. They called with her counts yesterday, and they are quite good. So, we are ready for Round 4 of chemotherapy starting tomorrow. We need to be in Iowa City by 8 on Friday morning. Unfortunately this is Chris' bad weekend at work -he is on call Friday night, second on call Saturday, on call Sunday night, and then second on call on Monday. So, not only does that mean that he won't be in Iowa City, but it also means that Chloe will be farmed out to grandparents a few times, too. They gladly watch her and she has a lot of attention showered on her, but she is not happy when I leave. Already this morning when I told her that tomorrow Daddy would take her to daycare because Leah had to go to the hospital, Chloe said, "me go." Leah thinks it would be fine to bring her along, but perhaps for a visit and not to stay.

Today Leah needs to finish her valentines since we will miss the party on Tuesday. We also need to pack and get a few things lined up for our stay. I asked Leah what she would like to do today for a Mommy/Leah day and she told me that we should lay in bed all day. I was hoping to take her to see a movie, but Curious George does not open until tomorrow, and there is nothing else for her to see at this point. We may get to Target since there are some things we need for our hospital stay.

We have had many people mention visiting us while we are in Iowa City. We do enjoy visitors, but know that Leah will be pretty knocked down by this chemo, and she does not always enjoy visitors. She does get frustrated by all the people stopping and will often tell people that she wants them to go home. So, please call if you want to come and we can decide if it is a good day for visitors.

Please, please continue to pray for Leah's chemotherapy to be effective and with minimal side effects. Pray for a shrinking tumor, lowering AFP counts, and the ability of the sureons to resect her tumor. I am praying as well that her scan on February 23 shows significant shrinkage again.

1 Comments:

Blogger Pam J said...

Tina-
Was so good to talk to you last Thursday night! I'm just sorry we didn't get a chance to see you - if only for a few minutes. Am so glad your Dance Marathon went well. We will continue to pray for all of you - as always, especially starting the next round of chemo.
Blessings.
Pam (and Bill)

11:30 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home