Wednesday, January 18, 2006

January 18, 2006

Go Hawks! Chris had a ticket to the Hawkeye game tonight and was able to witness an exciting game. Leah, Chloe and I watched it from Leah's room -much to their annoyance. They were waiting to watch Baby Einstein and the game took too long to get over with for their liking.

I had a good day in Denver. Chloe and I slept in and then I took her to daycare while I ran for a while. Six miles seems like ten right about now. I did get some good reading/treadmill time in, though, and it felt great. Chloe and I were back in Iowa City by 2:30 and had a trip to the mall for a bit. Then we were at the hospital by 4.

Even though I was dreading watching them both for the evening while Chris was at the game, it went very well. Since Leah has her IV pole and I cannot push that, carry two children, and walk around, too, we stayed in the room, read books, ate food, put bandaids all over each other-the usual girl stuff to do.

Leah's nurse today was Tom (from the clinic) who spends one day each week on this floor. He, Chris and James had "men's day" of sorts. Leah seem to be fine, although she is tired. Dr. Goldman rounded this morning, and now the plan has altered somewhat. Right now they plan on sending us home on Friday and bringing us back Monday for the CT scan and chemo. Since she has been sick they want to give her time to recover before hitting her with chemo again. I would like to get it over with, but also know that a few days should not matter, especially if she will be able to tolerate it better. Since she turned red yesterday from the one antibiotic they tried giving her Benadryl to counteract that. Benadryl is not the drug for Leah. Tom finally told the doctors that when they rounded. It makes her crabby and mean. It also makes her tired, but not tired enough to put her to sleep. They have decided to try the antibiotic without Benadryl over a longer period of time, and so far that seems to be working.

Leah's activities today consisted of a library trip and an afternoon art activity. We were fortunate enough to have some visitors this afternoon and evening--it is so nice to have people willing to stop in and spend time with us.

Leah happily reported to me today after I arrived that "Chis did everything on the list that I told him to do." She is a good helper and likes to be in charge just as much as I do.

Five days until the CT scan. As always my prayers are for results that show a shrinking tumor, chemotherapy that is working, and a girl with a fighting spirit.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home