Wednesday, July 06, 2011

Mid-Year Update














































































I can hardly believe that half of 2011 is over with already! It is finally feeling like summer here in Iowa and I have been enjoying taking the girls to the pool nearly every day. We have already had our vacation - a trip to Colorado with my mother. Highlights include eating at Casa Bonita, visiting the Royal Gorge Bridge, and seeing my uncle Loren at his place in Southern Colorado. The girls are enjoying a long summer break this year. The elementary school in Denver is having construction done on it so that all K-12 students will be at one campus. That means the students were out of school in May and don't go back to school until August 29 (Reeve's 5th birthday). Unfortunately I have to return to school on August 3, and summer is really more than half over for me.
On July 21 we will be taking Leah for a check-up in Iowa City. I have been just trying to block this out of my mind and would really rather not go, but don't have much choice. I am praying for a very normal, boring check-up and a very low AFP. Leah is not much interested in going, either, and stomped off when I told her that there was a check-up coming up. On the same day we found out when Leah's appointment was scheduled we heard of another family now in a similar situation to ours five years ago. Their four year old daughter was diagnosed just that morning with a Stage IV neuroblastoma. While Leah's type of cancer was hepatoblastoma, we certainly know too well how horrible it is to hear the diagnosis. Although we made some wonderful friends in Iowa City and appreciate all the care and skill there, it is not an experience we wish on anybody. We are continuing to pray for Lily Grace and her family as they begin their own cancer journey.

I know most people do not check this blog frequently anymore. Life has been very normal for us for a long time, and we pray that it continues to go that way. We are so grateful for the thoughts and prayers of others who continue to remember Leah. While some people may take their health for granted, there is not a day that goes by that we don't remember what it was like to want nothing more than a healthy child.

My next post will likely be after our check-up. Any extra prayers for Leah's continued health are much appreciated.

1 Comments:

Blogger Cameron VSJ said...

Hi,

I have a quick question about your blog, would you mind emailing me when you get a chance?

Thanks,

Cameron

cameronvsj(at)gmail.com

3:03 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home